Sunday, March 16, 2008

More Evidence that PRP may heal Tendons

In this study the authors found that PRP releasate stimulated cell proliferation and total collagen production. It is an interesting article that adds to the growing body of PRP knowledge.


Total Tendon

ApexPRP

Can Platelet-Rich Plasma Enhance Tendon Repair? A Cell Culture Study.

BACKGROUND: Autologous platelet-rich plasma (PRP) application appears to improve tendon healing in traumatic tendon injuries, but basic knowledge of how PRP promotes tendon repair is needed. HYPOTHESIS: Platelet-rich plasma has a positive effect on cell proliferation and collagen production and induces the production of matrix-degrading enzymes and endogenous growth factors by human tenocytes. STUDY DESIGN: Controlled laboratory study. METHODS: Human tenocytes were cultured 14 days in 2% fetal calf serum medium complemented with 0%, 10%, or 20% vol/vol platelet-rich clot releasate ([PRCR] the active releasate of PRP) or platelet-poor clot releasate (PPCR). At day 4, 7, and 14, cell amount, total collagen, and gene expression of collagen Ialpha1 (COL1) and IIIalpha1 (COL3), matrix metalloproteinases ([MMPs] MMP1, MMP3, and MMP13), vascular endothelial-derived growth factor (VEGF)-A, and transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta1 were analyzed. RESULTS: Platelet numbers in PRP increased to 2.55 times baseline. Growth-factor concentrations of VEGF and platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF)-BB were higher in PRCR than PPCR. Both PRCR and PPCR increased cell number and total collagen, whereas they decreased gene expression of COL1 and COL3 without affecting the COL3/COL1 ratio. PRCR, but not PPCR, showed upregulation of MMP1 and MMP3 expression. Matrix metalloproteinase 13 expression was not altered by either treatment. PRCR increased VEGF-A expression at all time points and TGF-beta1 expression at day 4. CONCLUSION: In human tenocyte cultures, PRCR, but also PPCR, stimulates cell proliferation and total collagen production. PRCR, but not PPCR, slightly increases the expression of matrix-degrading enzymes and endogenous growth factors. CLINICAL RELEVANCE: In vivo use of PRP, but also of PPP to a certain extent, in tendon injuries might accelerate the catabolic demarcation of traumatically injured tendon matrices and promote angiogenesis and formation of a fibrovascular callus. Whether this will also be beneficial for degenerative tendinopathies remains to be elucidated. Am J Sports Med. 2008 Mar 7

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a semi-active 38 year old male and have a partial tear in my acl. I had the PRP injection by my doctor here in south florida. He's only been doing the procedure for 2 weeks. I was wondering in your experience with PRP, how do I know it's working and how do I know if I need another injection?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous said...

In response to your e-mail about
"how do I know it's working", and and do I know if I need antoher injection?"
I have consulted about this procedure done by a physican
and from what I understand, you need the injection only once.
Maybe your situaion is different though.
You may want to call the office/clinic/physician who injected your acl to ask how long it takes before you notice the difference; immediately, weeks, or months.I do know it is not like a steriod injection and one feels the results right away. In fact, from what I am told, there is some swelling the first 24-48 hours.
I am curious if you would be candid enough to let me know how much you paid for your procedure in FL.
RN

Anonymous said...

In response to your e-mail about ,
"how do I know it's working", and and do I know if I need antoher injection?"
I have consulted about this procedure done by a physican
and from what I understand, you need the injection only once.You may want to call the office/clinic/physician who injected your acl to ask how long it takes before you notice the difference; immediately, weeks, or months. I am curious if you would be candid enough to let me know how much you paid for your procedure in FL.
RN

HalfDome.TV
Fitness/Sports Medicine Videos (4 million views)

Patient Application Form